Targeting Behind The Scenes

Hmm sometimes the life of a game developer isn’t all swords and sorcery. Lot’s of fairly dull behind the scenes stuff was done this week.

Animation reared it’s ugly head again and yet again i THINK I’ve solved the problem. I won’t even bore you with the details – and I really don’t want to be writing another post about animation (the problem seemed to be that my FBX importer doesn’t like root’s of bones being rotated – anyway that’s really dull).

I wanted to move towards actual combat with the picture rat so of course I need some way of targeting it. For now I’ve gone for the Everquest/WoW targeting arrow style. The reminded me that I already had a renderer for transparent models which works quite well. So I needed to make a targetting classes so the spinning pyramid could be attached to other game objects. As you can see in this picture I’ve targetted myself.

Luckily (or not really lucky at all) I already have a nice “picking” routine for my editor to allow me to select a house or a fench or whatever and move/rotate/scale it so I can use that to select the monster that I’m going to attempt to send to a higher plane of existance.

Oh and I made the blendmap higher resolution so I can change from grass to gravel to mud or whatever over a smaller area of land. I may well use a double blendmap to allow me to have 6 textures on the terrain but we’ll see. Maybe I can use the alpha channel in a png blendmap but that didn’t seem to work last time I tried it.

Here’s hoping for a more interesting update next week.

Billboard and Instancing Interfaces

Even the blog post title sound dull.

This had to be done at some point though. I spent most of my weekend coding time on making a better interface for adding my billboards and instanced geometry. As you can see from the screen shot I can individually place each piece of grass or pebble or whatever now. Some what dull but needed.

As I seem to say at the end of every blog post. Hopefully I’ll be working on dungeons, goblins and fireballs soon.

It’s a long road to coding a half decent RPG pretty much from scratch and not all of it is that exciting.

 

Guard Tower and Pebbles

Wow that’s not much of a blog post title is it? Oh well.. I’ll do better next time.

Anyway it’s been a week of improving and tweaking things – a lot of time was lost due to an instancing bug which was making the grass disappear when viewed from above. Deeply annoying. It was solved with the help of the great guys at GameDev¬†and the solution was a simple bug in the end. As you can see theres pebbles mixed in with the grass. So I should now be able to mix in different type of grass and small objects dotted about the terrain to give it a more realistic look. These objects won’t cast shadows at this stage. I could add that ability and maybe make that an optional performance setting but it will certainly hurt performance to have every pebble and blade of grass casting shadows. Looks nice enough without anyway. Large shrubs and rocks will of course cast shadows.

I may well need to do some boring refactoring work again soon because the whole game engine is growing like a beast again.

As you can see there’s the beginnings of a medieval settlement starting to appear. I now how a great guy from America doing the actual 3d modelling for the generic things I can’t buy in.

I’m hoping to have a medieval settlement¬†(well the walls of one) up and running very soon.